Do you make New Year’s resolutions every year? Do you keep them? If you are like most of us, those resolutions are met with great gusto on January 2nd, only to be left by the wayside by January 31 or even earlier (making it to day 21 increases your chances of it sticking as it takes a minimum of 21 to form a habit).
So what are the top 5 things you can do to make sure your resolutions stick?
- Call them goals and not resolutions. Personal goals are important, and, that is why they shouldn’t be made as a resolution. Make sure it’s something you REALLY want. You have to have a STRONG desire.
- Most resolutions are vague and about things like “I want to get into shape” or “I want to tone my body” or “I want to lose weight”. If you can’t measure what the end point is then you don’t have a way of knowing if you can reach that goal and have less motivation to hit it. It’s best to create a concrete goal like “I’m going to work out for a minimum of 30 minutes every other day” or “I’m going to lose 5 inches in 5 months”, etc.
- Believe you can achieve it. Make sure your goal is something you believe you can achieve. If we set our goals too high or too low it flattens us. There has to be an expectation that we can meet this goal. Set it. Set it clearly. Believe it.
- Patience and perseverance is the key. Even if you miss a day don’t beat yourself up. Get right back in there- and keep at it. It’s almost impossible for goals to come without obstacles and beating those obstacles is where the real success comes. Be kind to yourself. Know that it will take time. Keep at it and you will get there! Set it. Set it clearly. Believe it. Commit to it.
- Amplify it up! Share it. Get support. Put yourself in an environment where your goals are met with positivity and you are encouraged. This will make you more enthusiastic and positive. Find a buddy – someone who can encourage you when your energy is low, someone to share with and most importantly to state clear goals to. The more you share your goals the more likely you are going to hit them- it’s all about accountability. Set it. Set it clearly. Believe it. Commit to it. Amplify it.
There you have it. Our 5 top tips for attaining your fitness goals this year.
These are just a few suggestions. What are your tips? Share them with us here or on facebook.